Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Botanical-ed

I went to Goodwill yesterday and definitely got botanicaled. Or botanicalled.

I was perusing the frame/art section and spotted these:


I know what you're thinking--these are so colorful, has she decided to allow something other than neutrals into Home Monochromatic Dynamic? The answer would be negatory--Home MD remains on a subdued color palette that I find relaxing and prevents me from buying all sorts of crazy items. Instead, I was thinking the series would look great for a friends' entryway after swapping the frames for something larger and more modern. But then I saw the price. A $25 sticker on each frame?! Sheesh. Now I really had to debate the purchase.

Pros:  nice palette, crisp lines, would fill the entryway space without looking cluttered, could inform the rest of the palette for the downstairs without limiting it because there are so many color options, not more expensive than buying from a big box store and definitely less than a gallery, the series flows together, buying from a non-profit and buying used.

Cons:  Sooo pricey and they might not like them, which would negate all the "pros".

While I was mulling this over I noticed this single frame print, too:


And then in the midst of this the store made an announcement for the 50% off tag color day! And the color was.....not the color tags on the prints. Sigh. But they followed that up with an announcement that it was 25% for folks over 55 the next day (today). Which got me thinking that I could try to make these prints a bit more affordable. So, I called my parents to ascertain their ages (because I'm a terrible daughter and can remember birthdays but not ages). In spite of their high activity level and youthful looks, it appeared that they would qualify for this Wednesday discount! (They really have the best of all worlds, don't they?) My Mom agreed to swing by the next day (so, today) and nab the prints--all 5, since the single print could be a nice replacement for the empty wall space in my parents' living room that used to display a mauve/dusty rose and teal painting of a pot and a ladder (I'm sure you've seen something similar from the 80s). Oh, and it would be hung up after painting over the gold-colored frame.

My mother called me this morning and let me know that she has secured the prints. And then--here's the kicker--she let's me know that the $25 price was for all four prints. Hilarious. I guess I'm not feeling as much pressure now! And I should be a little more cognizant of fine print!

Well, here are some more photos of the series that I took when I was in "debate-mode"...





...I'm thinking some IKEA Ribba frames might be the ticket (unless I can find 4 identical modern frames at another Goodwill?), maybe using different mats so the matted space is larger (like this) or painting the mats another subtle color to play off the prints or using some linen as matting.

Ever had a purchase ultimately ring up as less than anticipated? Ever stressed over something for no reason? Ever had your Mom be awesome?

PS, I do other things that seek out prints and art for other people, even though that's been a theme recently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment