Friday, April 6, 2012

Credenza Drama

Drama! Action! I don't even know if I should call this piece of furniture a credenza or a console! Anxiety! Ok, only one of those exclamations is accurate, but I'm going to call it a credenza for the purposes of this post (because that's what I did in other posts here and here).

I mentioned way back when that I wanted to get around to redoing the credenza that one sees as soon as they step through my front door. The finish (besides being hastily done--admittedly so--by the previous owner...see how the stain doesn't even go to the bottom of the legs?) is too red for me and I though it could use a little more "pow!" since it is a first impression and all. It also would host the knobs/drawer pulls that I redid shown here.

So, I'm thinking of using a black stain (the same that was used for the backyard frames) and then adding a pattern or highlighting some of the shape with some metallic paint or ink. Since I'll have to sand the credenza down anyway, I decided to experiment a little too much? with a silver Sharpie.


Note the cameos of the cyclamen and the framed "Z".



In typical fashion, I waited awhile to debate about the refinishing and pattern idea. I added more doodles to the credenza a week or so later (as well as some birthday cards and a different plant). (The carpet on the stairs reads a purple-ish color in this photo--which it is most definitely not!)






Any thoughts on the patterns? Maybe the one on the right? Or the curve shapes mirroring the bottom? Or just keep it plain black?

What do you think of the new home for the drawer pulls?


PS, you can check out a few credenza inspiration pins on my "Foyer Credenza" board on pinterest by clicking on the Pinterest button to the right--or send me some additional ones!

6 comments:

  1. Credenza drama?! You need to console your console... get it? So bad.
    I like the drawer to the left the most and the right the second most. The idea for the middle is good, but you'll be sick of it soon. I like the idea of starting with all black and then adding more embellishment/pattern if you think it needs it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Console the console. You slay me. Yeah, so many decisions, I probably will ease into it by staining it first and letting it hang out.

      Delete
  2. I like the plain black stain with the knobs you have, or go for even bolder statement knobs. I think the silver Sharpie designs are too much all over...

    Alternately, you could do the drawers in wallpaper or painted pattern in something like this (not color, just design): http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_68m5SANMSWo/THkyp_DE1SI/AAAAAAAAK0k/6gH3Hfi2BSc/s400/moroccan_pattern_turquoise_250.jpg with simpler knobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, I am partial to Moroccan/Alhambra-like patterns...

      Delete
  3. I had a refinishing disaster when I tried to take a cheap coffee table and redo it. In the end it might have cost me more than buying a nice table and hours of frustration and probably a few brain cells from the fumes. Biggest recommendation I can make is GEL STAIN...GEL STAIN....GEL STAIN. Good luck! Excited to see the results. And let me know if you need a sander.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might take you up on the sander--the one I have is pretty petite :) Thanks for the gel stain recommendation!

      Delete