Saturday, December 17, 2011

Stained Glass Cookies


When I was in Spain, finding the baking supplies I was used to in the US wasn't the easiest, but it was fun to try substitutes (powdered vanilla extract, anyone?) and think of different ways to do things (oh, sweet metric system). Sugar cookies were a standby, but I wasn't ambitious enough to make my own icing, so I tried using preserves that were on-hand. I liked the cookies even better with some raspberry or apricot preserves or some orange marmalade. I didn't have any "official" cookie cutters, so glassware worked just fine and I added a cutout with a shot glass so the preserves could shine through. I like the taste and the look of the cookies enough that even now that I'm back in the US and have access to icing and cookie cutters, I still use the same "improvised" methods!


Have you ever had to change something up because of a "limitation" that turned out to be an improvement?

PS, an added bonus is that the cookies stack nicely (without smearing the filling) if you need to transport them.

PPS, here's the recipe I use (thanks, Rango!):

6 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder 
2 cups butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract 
1 tsp salt
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
Add eggs and vanilla, mix well
Mix dry ingredients and add gradually
Chill for 1 to 2 hours (or longer)
Roll to desired thickness & cut into shapes
Bake on wax paper at 350F for 8-10 min


PPPS, You can bake the cut outs and make cute little cookie sandwiches (as a reward for all that baking).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment