Friday, December 16, 2011

Great Room Art

Hmmm, does "great" describe the type of room or the quality of the art? Hopefully both, but you can decide. I've wrapped up the paintings for the great room (progress was glimpsed or reported in posts here, here, here, and here). They were all set and on the wall, but I thought they could really be improved with some frames. Not that I wanted to shell out much for frames--especially at that size!--but I felt like they really needed something to make them look more finished. So, I thought back to the materials for my headboard project (yes, I know, I haven't posted that, yet) and figured I could do something along the same lines for the paintings. So, I purchased some bull-nosed molding and had it cut into 12 manageable lengths and got psyched up and started sawing each corner to a 45-degree angle.

I spent awhile sawing each end of the molding pieces (this would be WAAAAY easier with a table saw, but a borrowed miter box cost me all of $0, so it's hard to argue with that)

After this, my Dad and I nailed all the corners of the frames together, using the canvasses as guides so we were sure that they'd fit even if the canvasses weren't exactly the same. Here's the process:

Lining up the sawed corners around the canvas to make sure the spacing was right

Drilling guide holes for the nails (thanks for the hand-modeling, Dad)

Adding some carpenter's wood glue


Nailing the corner together using the guide holes

In spite of our best efforts, sometimes this happened. Not to fear...

Putty smoothed out the cracks and we used it to fill in any gaps in the corners

We painted them black, let dry, and then nailed them to the canvasses. I wanted the canvas to be flush with the frames, but you could use this same process and place the canvas deeper in the frame to leave a lip on the frame, too.  Here's some of that photo-documentation:

Looking good...

Drilling guide holes (My Dad is now a hand and leg model) :)

After hammering the nails in, you can counter sink them to get them flush. If you (like me) don't have a tool specifically for that, you can improvise with a large nail, as shown in the action shot above.

And then we (ok, this part was pretty much all my Dad) hung them on the wall. So, what do you think?



I think it's much more polished. And the whole process took less than 2 years! (Ok, the majority of that was my slowing painting process, the framing only took one day (minus the sawing that I did during the week leading up to "frame day").

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I love that you say "we" and yet Dad's hands are the only ones I see... (I am glad you credited him). I love the Sleeping Beauty-esque trees! It turned out fantastico!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your paintings turned out beautiful! They look perfect in the living room too! I have large walls in mine and am perplexed on what to do...I'm loving how yours turned out!

    ReplyDelete