Thursday, December 23, 2010

Armed and Ready

I went quite awhile without a TV in Home Monochromatic Dynamic. And then a new sibling roomie came with a 46" flatscreen, and I happily accepted the addition to the great room. I had planned for the space for a wall mounted TV during the renovation process--having the electrician add an outlet and jack on the wall above my bar on casters, but getting a TV wasn't a priority at the time. But hey, when it falls in your lap...

Decor tip: having a cord dangling from the loft draws the eye up and makes for a classy arrangement

It sat on the bar for awhile until I found a TV mount that would swivel, tilt and extend significantly. It was important that the TV be able to extend out of the recessed space and that it swivel so that folks sitting on the end of the couch would still be able to watch comfortably. I settled on this model from overstock.com because it fit the bill, was in my budget and the comments were overall favorable (I felt I could screen out some of the negative comments when it seemed that it possibly wasn't installed correctly). Then I bided my time until an overstock sale or coupon came up! I call this overstalking. Anyway...

Upon opening it up, I realized that the commenters who noted that the installation instructions were practically nonexistent were absolutely accurate.
Um, yeah, note the half sheet of paper with 6 drawings. But playing around with the pieces let me and my super handy parents (thanks Mom and Dad!) piece it together. After identifying the placement of wall studs, we realized that we had to add a piece of wood (as the instructions "noted") onto the stud so the mount would be stable. But a full piece of wood would cover the outlets, so a couple 2x4s were the answer. After these were cut down (so they looked prettier), we hung them with substantial bolts and then painted them (presentation is important, even if it's not something that's usually visible).
After the paint dried, everything else was put together and ... viola!
I love that it's discrete when i want it to be and that it can be comfortably viewed during other times. Now we'll see how long it takes for me to get cable.

Any favorite TV settings? Any technology/construction projects that turned out a-ok?

1 comment:

  1. Very cool- it looks great and the ability to swivel is really nice.

    ReplyDelete