Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Wheelin' and dealin'

One of my earlier Craigslist discoveries was a wood bar. I saw an ad for a bar I liked, but by the time I responded it had been sold (cue violins). Then, crazily enough, someone posted the same bar (not the exact same, but the identical make) the following week.

The sellers said it's from CostPlus World Market, so it's understandable that there would be multiple secondhand versions out there.

Like so many other items, this hung out at my parent's (and then my sister's) until I got my place. Coincidentally, the bar's width is perfect for one of the alcoves on the side of the fireplace in the great room.


After maneuvering it into place, I was struck with realization that moving the bar when empty was pretty cumbersome, so moving it when full might as well be impossible.  And since the bar is only open on one side--which is great since folks can't critique my bar paraphernalia organizational skills--mobility was key.  After brainstorming ideas that included having the bar on a giant hinge attached to the wall (hehe), I settled on swivel wheels as an achievable solution.

So, I made my way to Home Depot and got some casters like these:


Then got home and realized that the plate was slightly bigger than the leg, the holes in the screw plate weren't far in enough that there would be enough space between the screw and the edge of the leg for the screw to get a good bite, and that I was likely greatly underestimating the final weight of a fully stocked bar.

Armed with this new (and, eh, probably easily foreseen) information, I returned to Home Depot and got casters similar to these:

Bingo.

The casters had 2 pieces--a slim funnel with teeth on the lip and the wheel on a stem that would fit into the funnel once the funnel/anchor was embedded in the wood. After putting holes in the legs for the stem anchor (making sure that the drill bit was completely vertical so the wheels wouldn't be at that wonky every-shopping-cart-I-ever use angle), and getting a lot of sawdust in my nose and mouth by blowing the wood shavings out of the new hole, the funnel was ready to be dropped in. I hammered them down until the teeth on the lip of the funnel were embedded in the wood and put in the stem of portion with the wheel, which locked into place with a satisfying click. Voila!


When flipped over, the bar rolled relatively easily. When filled, it rolls less freely, but easily enough that I can get access to the back of the bar without calling for backup. Which is great, because if it was still wheel-less and altogether impossible for me to move, I might think I needed to increase my adult beverage intake to make it more mobile.

PS, the empty space above the bar will eventually house a swivel-mounted TV.
Any beverage storage solutions that you find convenient? Does anything last long enough to even be stored?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment